MEET US AT TIDES, MAY 9-12, 2016 IN LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA
TYPE 2 DIABETES
*All API that are sold for development of drug products still patent protected are offered under Bolar Exemption only. The following disclaimer applies: These products are offered and sold in small quantities only and solely for uses reasonably related to privileged trials and studies for obtaining marketing authorization required by law (Bolar Exemption). Bachem cannot be made liable for any infringement of intellectual property rights. It is the sole and only responsibility of the purchaser or user of these products to comply with the relevant national rules and regulations.
Bachem offers more than 100 Diabetes related research products available online.
Amylins (IAPP) and Fragments (13)
Insulin C-Peptides (10)
Chromogranin A/ Pancreastatin (2)
Exendins and Fragments (13)
Gastric Inhibitory Polypeptide and Fragments (7)
Ghrelin Peptides (4)
Glucagons and Glucagon-Like Peptides (GLP-1 / GLP-2) (27)
Insulin-Like Growth Factors (IGF), Fragments & Related Peptides (10)
Various Products / Diabetes (17)
S. E. Kahn et al., Pathophysiology and treatment of type 2 diabetes: perspectives on the past, present, and future, Lancet 383, 1068–83 (2014)
F. Mittermeyer et al., Addressing Unmet Medical Needs in Type 2 Diabetes: A Narrative Review of Drugs under Development, Current Diabetes Reviews 11, 17-31 (2015)
E. Mutschler, Arzneimittelwirkungen, 10. Auflage, 2013, Wissenschaftliche Verlagsgesellschaft, Stuttgart
Approximately 382 million people worldwide are affected by Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) (1). T2DM affects many parts of the body and is associated with complications such as heart disease and stroke, blindness, kidney failure and lower-limb damage. In the United States alone, direct medical costs attributed to diabetes were estimated to be $176 billion in 2012 (2). There is a need for new drugs that can more effectively treat T2DM because available drugs are not able to reverse progression of the disease over the long-term.
An estimated 36 peptides are advancing through clinical development for treatment of T2DM as shown in Figure 1 below. Many of these drug candidates are insulins and Glucagon-Like Peptide 1 (GLP-1) receptor agonists. GLP-1 receptor agonists, also known as incretin mimetics, are attractive because they offer glycemic control with a low risk of hypoglycemia. In addition, some GLP-1 receptor agonists have been shown to promote weight loss and reduce systolic blood pressure (3). Several GLP-1 receptor agonists are already approved for the treatment of T2DM including the blockbuster Victoza® (liraglutide), Byetta® (exenatide) and Bydureon® (exenatide), Lyxumia® (lixisenatide), Trulicity® (dulaglutide), and Syncria® (albiglutide) (4).
|Product Name||Active Ingredient||Companies Involved||Target|
|Insulin tregopil (IN105)||hexyl insulin monoconjugate 2 (pegylated)||Nobex Corporation, Biocon||Insulin Receptor (INSR)|
|ITCA650||exenatide||Intarcia Therapeutics Inc||Glucagon-Like Peptide 1 Receptor (GLP1R)|
|MK1293||insulin glargine||Merck & Co Inc, Samsung Bioepis||Insulin Receptor (INSR)|
|NN9535||semaglutide||Novo Nordisk A/S||Glucagon-Like Peptide 1 Receptor (GLP1R)|
|NN9924||semaglutide||Novo Nordisk A/S, Emisphere, Technologies Inc||Glucagon-Like Peptide 1 Receptor (GLP1R)|
|Oral HDV Insulin||insulin||Diasome Pharmaceuticals Inc||Insulin Receptor (INSR)|
|Oral Insulin EXTRAWELL||insulin||Extrawell Pharmaceutical Holdings Limited||Insulin Receptor (INSR)|
|PEX168||loxenatide (pegylated)||Jiangsu Hengrui, Medicine Co Ltd||Glucagon-Like Peptide 1 Receptor (GLP1R)|
|SAR342434||insulin lispro||Sanofi||Insulin Receptor (INSR)|
|SP2086||--||Jiangsu Hengrui, Medicine Co Ltd, Jiangsu Hansoh Pharmaceutical Co Ltd||Dipeptidyl-Peptidase 4 (DPP4)|
|UNI-E4||exenatide (recombinant)||Uni-Bio Science Group Ltd||Glucagon-Like Peptide 1 Receptor (GLP1R)|
(1) U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. Accelerating Medicines Partnership: Type 2 Diabetes. National Institutes of Health. [Online] October 15, 2015. [Cited: March 29, 2016.] http://www.nih.gov/research-training/accelerating-medicines-partnership-amp/type-2-diabetes
(2) National Diabetes Statistics Report, 2014. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. [Online] 2014. [Cited: March 29, 2016.] http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/statsreport14/national-diabetes-report-web.pdf
(3) A, Garber. Diabetes Care. American Diabetes Association. [Online] May 2011. [Cited: April 4, 2016.] http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/Supplement_2/S279.full
(4) Medtrack. [Online] [Cited: March 28, 2016.]
(5) R, Krishnan. Biocon to conduct oral insulin trials on its own. Business Standard. [Online] January 27, 2016. [Cited: March 29, 2016.] http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/biocon-to-conduct-oral-insulin-trials-on-its-own-116012700346_1.html
(6) ITCA 650. Intarcia Therapeutics. [Online] [Cited: March 29, 2016.] http://www.intarcia.com/pipeline-technology/itca-650.html
(7) Novo Nordisk successfully completes fifth phase 3a trial with semaglutide in people with type 2 diabetes. Fierce Biotech. [Online] February 23, 2016. [Cited: March 29, 2016.] http://www.fiercebiotech.com/press-releases/novo-nordisk-successfully-completes-fifth-phase-3a-trial-semaglutide-people
(8) Uni-Bio Science Group Announces Positive Phase III Results for Uni-E4 in Type-2 Diabetes. Uni-Bio Science. [Online] August 3, 2015. [Cited: April 5, 2016.] http://www.uni-bioscience.com/en/news_detail.php?id=36&yearMonth
What is your official job title at Bachem?
Marketing Communications Associate.
How long have you been with Bachem?
I am with Bachem for almost 7 years now.
Briefly, what do you do at Bachem?
I am responsible for the planning and realization of tradeshows, conferences and events of the Bachem group. I also take care of the advertising material and gifts.
What is your academic background?
I made a commercial apprenticeship in the Pharma sector with higher vocational diploma. Afterwards, I completed a further education as a tourism- and event manager.
What do you like to do outside of work?
I enjoy reading books, listening to music and if time permits travelling within Switzerland and around the world.
What do you like most about your job?
My job allows me to be creative and to bring forward my own ideas. Furthermore, I am in daily contact with internal and external people which I really appreciate.
Thank you very much Stephanie.